Fetal abnormalities are known to 3occur in 3-5% of all pregnancies.
Generally structural scan is done at 18-20 weeks, however with high quality equipment and specific ultrasound settings, early detection of anomalies is possible.
Recent literature and our studies have shown that on the first trimester nearly 56% of anomalies can be detected.
- Advantages of early scanning
- Early detection and exclusion of many anomalies
- Early reassurance to the expecting mother
- Early detection of genetic syndrome
- Safer terminations of pregnancies if appropriate